- Our main character and hero
- High school/college- aged, a couple years younger than his sister
- Half of a brother-sister tandem
- Brave and loyal, this guy doesn’t back down and is super protective of his family, but acts on emotions and impulses instead of being patient.
- Weapon of choice: shuriken, aka ninja stars
If at First You Don’t Succeed, Try and Try Again
We followed the same initial approach to Kenta as we did with Yumiko. This involved gathering a bunch of anime characters that we liked and drew inspiration from and starting from there. The initial sketch didn’t hit the mark – it looked way too similar to the Yumiko character, and even though they are supposed to be brother and sister, they weren’t intended to be twins.
Concept art ain’t easy. This time around involved a lot more revisions. For some reason, Kenta kept coming across as a little too feminine, and even though he’s young, he still had to exude strength and masculinity. By sketch 10, we got the outfit, weapons, and accessories down but had some issues with the hair. A few more refinements later and Kenta was complete! To make him stand out from his sister, we chose to use a bright bold blue.
With the final 2D image complete, we’re going to use what we’ve learned with Yumiko to create the 3D rendering. Essentially, we provided our 3D artist with an orthographic projection of Kenta so that the final 3D image will look as close to our 2D image as possible. Let’s hope that this process goes smoother the second time around!